Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Spicy Sausage Quiche

It is cooling off here in Kentucky, and I have to confess that I love it! The leaves are changing and falling outside of the window, the air is cold and invigorating. It is the kind of weather that reminds me of the fun of growing up in North Dakota. I used to play outside (in the snowbanks) until my mom had to drag me in, cheeks bright red and stinging from the cold. Something about the change in seasons makes me feel like a child again...I still love to take the dogs out and play, not coming back in until my cheeks are flushed and I feel refreshed by the cold, clear air. I am thoroughly enjoying the seasons, a perk of living a little bit more north!

This recipe is perfect for any time of year, but I made it recently and wanted to share it for fall. I use my favorite pie crust recipe, but you could use store-bought as well and make it an even easier dish. You just pour the ingredients into the unbaked crust, bake for an hour, and the outcome is a delicious blend of flavors that remind me of queso dip, in quiche form. What could be wrong with that??
The great thing about quiche is that you can serve it for a breakfast/brunch, or even a lunch or supper if served with a side such as salad or roasted vegetables. We have eaten this at all times of the day and love it every time.

Spicy Sausage Quiche 
Yields: 1 quiche, 6-8 slices 

1/2 lb. ground hot sausage 
2 eggs 
1/2 c. sour cream
1/3 c. milk
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
1 can (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes, drained 
9" pie shell, unbaked 

Preheat the oven to 350. 
Prepare the pastry crust in a pie or quiche pan and set aside.
Brown the ground sausage on the stovetop; drain and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and milk.
Stir in the cooked sausage, cheese, and drained Rotel tomatoes. 
Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. 
Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. 


Enjoy!
Love,
Rach


No comments:

Post a Comment